FROM MESS TO SUCCESS: MODEL WORK/LIFE BALANCE
- Recognize that the most influential people live balanced lives.
- Make a list of easy-to-implement things you could do to bring better balance.
- Discuss openly with your team the real pressures everyone faces to grow their careers and enjoy their lives. Make it safe for everyone to take the time they need to do both.
- Be vulnerable about the fact that work/life balance is also a challenge for you. Everyone desires authenticity and relatability in their leader.
- Brainstorm with your team the observable behaviors that would indicate the proper work/life balance has been reached. Implement and champion them.
- Invite colleagues to be open and honest if they feel that things have moved too far to either extreme.
- Take time off to renew, and encourage team members to do the same.
- Welcome them back by showing genuine interest in what they did, learned, or enjoyed.
For more on modeling work/life balance, watch this short clip from Scott Miller, author Management Mess to Leadership Success.
When you fail to prepare employees for leadership, you put the success of your organization in jeopardy. Get the insights to avoid first-level leader breakdowns and download our latest research study.