- Focus your finest efforts on the one or two goals that will make the greatest impact (rather than giving mediocre effort to dozens of goals).
- Choose the battles that win the war. It’s easy to generate a long list of to-do items in support of your WIGs. Rather, ask, “What are the fewest number of battles necessary to win this war?” Focus your attention on the critical items that will get you the victory.
- Veto but don’t dictate. Allow your leaders and team members to define the actions that will support your WIGs. Your role is to bring clarity; the leaders below you will bring engagement (if you allow them to).
- Have a finish line in the form of From X to Y by When. In order to ensure your actions are aligned to your WIG, you must have a clearly measurable result and date by which the result must be achieved. Although we addressed this concept in a previous challenge, it bears repeating, based on its proven display for all to see.
FROM MESS TO SUCCESS: ALIGN ACTIONS WITH THE WILDLY IMPORTANT GOALS
- With your team, brainstorm specific behaviors that will help them accomplish your Wildly Important Goals.
- To achieve new and different results, everyone will likely need to learn something new and do something different. Show the courage to ask your team members to identify any new behaviors they think you should implement to progress the WIG. This may help them be more receptive to suggestions you make regarding their behaviors.
- Lead out on your own new and better behavior and use it to coach, not shame, others.
- Ensure team players have the big-picture perspective, not only a myopic view of just their part.
80% of your results will come from 20% of your activities—are you focusing on the right ones? Download The 80/20 Activity Analyzer tool to be more strategic in your process and more successful in your results.