Integrity is deep honesty and truthfulness. It is who you really are. To have high integrity, you need to have congruence, humility, and courage.
- Congruence: To live in harmony with your deepest values and beliefs. You walk your walk.
- Humility: To stand firmly for principles, especially in the face of opposition. You are more concerned with what is right than with being right.
- Courage: To act according to principles. You do the right thing, especially when it is hard to do.
You can increase your integrity by:
- Making and keeping commitments to yourself. Treat commitments to yourself as you would treat commitments to other important people in your life. Make. Keep. Repeat.
- Standing for something. Write a mission statement or personal credo–an expression of what you stand for. Then live by it.
- Be open. Exercise humility. Challenge the way you see the world. For example, are your viewpoints totally accurate and complete? Do you seriously consider other view points?
Register to attend The 4 Essential Roles of Leadership webcast and discover a framework of success for leaders everywhere.