How to Make and Keep Commitments:
- Choose a project or relationship that needs your attention.
- Identify an unfulfilled commitment in this area.
- How can you realistically follow through with it?
- Acknowledge to the person your awareness of having not (yet) met your commitment, and recalibrate expectations on whether/when you will.
- Exercise integrity in your next “moment of choice” by being willing to politely say no.
- Inventory your current commitments. Realistically determine whether you need to unwind some of them. Your greatest gift may be to back out before you fail them and further violate expectations.
- Make sure your commitments are balanced — work, play, health, growth, outreach, etc.
When you fail to prepare employees for leadership, you put the success of your organization in jeopardy. Get the insights to avoid first-level leader breakdowns and download our latest research study.