Do you practice the principle that, with people, slow is fast and fast is slow?
- Ask yourself: Is your default setting “fast”? If yes, is that shortchanging you and others? Is your efficiency mindset undercutting a more beneficial effectiveness mindset?
- Understand that there’s no such thing as developing a relationship “efficiently.” Trust, respect, and rapport take time and investment.
- Intentionally slow down and connect with others in ways they prefer.
- Commit to ask a team member or colleague how he or she is doing and really listen to their response. When appropriate, sincerely explore their answer.
- Recognize your judgments regarding time:
- Do you give time to people or situations you can’t equate with productivity or value?
- Are your exchanges focused on gathering information or on strengthening relationships? Commit to make them both.