Leaders who talk straight:
- Call things by their right names using common, plain language.
- Don’t spin or position for the sake of posturing.
- Tell the truth in diplomatic yet clear language.
- Don’t try to sound more intelligent than they are.
FROM MESS TO SUCCESS: TALK STRAIGHT
- Think about where or with whom you tend to “spin” or even withhold the truth.
- Identify possible reasons you are avoiding straight talk.
- Do you talk differently with your leader than you do your peers?
- Do certain types of colleagues somehow encourage or discourage your propensity to talk straight? Why?
- Next time you notice yourself “spinning,” pause, then find a more accurate and tempered way to tell the whole truth.
Go from a management mess to a leadership success. Join Scott Miller for a live webcast and learn more about the 30 challenges that all leaders face.